Assistant Network Administrator
Public High School located in Southern California.
Downey, CA, USA
$79.776 - $96.876
14 Oct → 13 Nov
The current opening is 40 hours per week, 12 months per year.
The recruitment will be run as Promotional Only - open only to current permanent Downey USD employees and employees on the 39 month reemployment list.
- Assist District staff to resolve software related issues, including but not limited to, operating systems, applications, and networking software; assist other technical support staff to assure optimum systems availability to users.
- Monitor database backup and recovery strategies and procedures; monitor backup jobs; recover data as required to ensure integrity of database, application, and file systems.
- Evaluate and configure the usage of shared folders and mapped drives with usage of policies, scripts, and effective permissions.
- Evaluate hardware and software to determine efficiency, reliability and compatibility with existing operating environment and configuration requirements.
- Prepare, test, and make available end user computer system images, operating system, driver, and application updates, and other software.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of networking equipment, firewalls and servers through troubleshooting and use of diagnostic programs; resolve network performance and connectivity issues; adjust network efficiency to provide the best possible performance.
- Use troubleshooting and monitoring tools such as sniffers, protocol analyzers and performance monitors; adjust network parameters to maximize performance.
- Communicate and coordinate activities with outside vendors, suppliers and repair technicians regarding systems repairs, outages, equipment replacement and installation.
- Confer with users to identify and clarify prospective needs for network requirements and related services.
- Install and configure computer hardware such as servers, repeaters, bridges, routers and gateways, to ensure network access; integrate new hardware to enhance performance; deploy and support network applications.
- Establish user accounts, passwords, e-mail accounts, internet connectivity, back-ups and directories; troubleshoot and resolve password issues; and maintain confidentiality of sensitive and privileged information.
- Monitor and maintain network system security, servers, backup libraries and databases; upgrade anti-virus software; perform preventative maintenance on network and server hardware equipment; create utilities and scripts.
- Assist with the training of District staff in the operations of computers and related peripheral equipment and software, as related to District networks and server applications.
- Two years of college coursework in computer science, information technology or other closely related field.
- Four years of experience working in a Windows server environment, or installing and maintaining local and wide area networks and related equipment.
- Valid California driver's license. Must be, and remain, insurable under the District's vehicle driver's insurance policy at the standard rate.
- Professional certification by a major vendor such as Novell, Cisco or Microsoft is preferred.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of network installation, maintenance, operation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Knowledge of materials and methods used in the operation, installation and repair of computer and network systems.
- Knowledge of Principles and techniques of systems and network design and analysis.
- TCP/IP and IPX network protocols in a routed environment.
- Network server systems such as Apple OS X, Microsoft Windows or Linux.
- Configuration of server operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows, Linux and Macintosh OS.
- Communications equipment operating systems, such as Cisco Internet Operating System (IOS).
- Configuration of operating systems, applications software and networking of Windows and Macintosh computers.
- Components and capabilities of network hubs, switches, routers, firewalls, servers and cabling.
- Firewall and network security.
- Backup and recovery procedures, concepts and best practices as related to network data.
- Exercise personal responsibility for seeking learning opportunities to keep current on technological advancements in the industry and to improve capability and professional growth.
- Be self-directed and self-monitoring in work commitments.
- Formulate and communicate ideas on complex technical concepts in a clear and effective manner both orally and in writing.
How To Apply
Apply through Leftronic.