Big Data/ETL Developer
We know you know GEICO, but we want you to know that with us, you’ll find a rewarding career no matter which path you take. Our over 40,000 associates have been unexpectedly delighted to find that their jobs have turned into illuminating careers. You know us for insurance. Get to know us for great careers, too.
Chevy Chase, MD, USA
14 Oct → 13 Nov
The IT Actuary Systems team is seeking an experienced and highly self-motivated Big Data/ETL Developer to support Financial Reporting of Claims Case reserve activity and Statistical Reporting. In this role, you will design, develop, test, and implement ETL/ELT solutions in addition to developing complex queries to mine data from the Enterprise Data Warehouse and the Big Data Platform. You must excel at working independently as well as part of a team, show an appropriate sense of urgency, multi-task across multiple projects, all while providing production support.
Note: The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO’s highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD office.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
GEICO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating an environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO celebrates diversity and believes it is critical to our success. As such, we are committed to recruit, develop and retain the most talented individuals to join our team.
- Be part of a development team to build and maintain the ETL processes
- Analyze the needs and the environment to make sure the solution you’re developing considers the current architecture and operating environment as well as future functionality and enhancements
- Develop, test, debug, document and help operationalize various ETL applications leveraging industry best practices
- Work closely and collaborate with various cross functional IT teams to identify, troubleshoot and fix data issues, and resolve data gaps that impact the fulfillment of the business’s functional requirements
- Work collaboratively with team members and customers to gather and validate requirements as well as deliver features/enhancements
- Collaborate with architects, team leads and team members to architect and design solutions to meet functional and technical requirements
- Troubleshoot issues, identify resolutions and be available for 24/7 production support on a rotational basis
- Responsible for writing complex SQL queries for mining of operational data
- Create reports using tools such as WebFOCUS Reports or QLIK
- Minimum 3 years of experience with Relational Database Systems and Oracle PL/SQL
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience with manipulating and transforming large and complicated datasets using ETL tools.
- Experience with developing, tuning and debugging code, stored procedures, functions and packages.
- Strong functional and analytical skills.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in developing high volume transaction processing solutions
- Experience in Data Profiling
- 2+ years of experience in designing and developing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows using tools such as Informatica, Ab Initio, Talend or Apache Spark
- Work with large streams of data (>1TB.) in a large enterprise environment
- Experience in Linux/UNIX scripting and SQL
- Experience with Personal or Commercial auto insurance policy and claims systems
- Experience with TFS or GIT
- Experience with advanced Data Warehousing concepts and skills
- Experience with sourcing data across multiple platforms (Mainframe, FTP, Data Warehouse, ESB)
- Experience with JSON and XML
- Experience with SDLC/Waterfall/Agile methodologies and developing Project Artifacts
- Experience with Application Systems and Data Analysis
- Experience with reporting tools such as WebFOCUS Reports or QLIK Sense.
- Experience with cloud migration to IaaS or PaaS platforms
- Experience supporting applications in a cloud environment
What We offer
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
How To Apply
Apply through Leftronic